Goodyear is accepting nominations for its annual Highway Hero Award, which honors truck drivers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others.
Nomination forms for the Goodyear Highway Hero Award and contest rules can also be found online. Nominations must be submitted before Dec. 31.
This marks the 37th year Goodyear honors a truck driver with this award. Past Goodyear Highway Hero Award winners include a truck driver who ripped the back door from a burning car to save two passengers and a driver who dove into a pond to pull a child from a submerged car. The 2019 Goodyear Highway Hero Award winner, Paul Mathias, a driver for System Transport of Cheney, Washington, administered CPR to save the life of a young passenger involved in a car accident.
A panel of representatives from the trucking industry will select the next Goodyear Highway Hero from among three finalists identified by Goodyear. The winner will be announced in March 2020, coinciding with the annual Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, and will receive a cash award, among other prizes. Each finalist will also receive a cash prize and various other prizes.
Nominees must meet the following criteria to be considered for the award:
- A full-time truck driver
- Residing in the U.S. or Canada
- The heroic incident must have happened in the U.S. or Canada
- Their truck must have had 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident
- Must have been on the job – or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck – at the time of the incident
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2018 and Nov. 16, 2019