Pennsylvania has long been a hard-working state with a diverse economy and a special connection to America’s trucking heritage.
One of this country’s primary north/south interstates — I-81 — cuts through the eastern portion of the state and I-76 and I-80 run east to west through it. In all, parts of 12 interstates go through Pennsylvania.
Just off I-76 in Allentown is the ancestral home of as iconic a trucking brand as there is in this country: Mack. The Mack brothers founded this company in Brooklyn in the late 19th Century, but it spent much of its life headquartered in Allentown. The manufacture of Macks continues in Macungie, Pa. and the largest gathering of Macks occurs this weekend (Oct. 2 and 3) at Gerhart Machinery in Lititz, southwest of Allentown.
Pennsylvania also is home to numerous trucking companies, many of which have spent the recent years serving the natural gas boom in the state.
Each year, our sister publication “Commercial Carrier Journal” creates a ranking of the top 250 trucking companies in the U.S. These are the members of the 2015 CCJ Top 250 ranking located in Pennsylvania including where they’re located, their specialization, how many drivers they employee and their website.
38. Penske Logistics, Reading, dedicated contract carriers, 4,000 drivers, www.penskelogistics.com
49. Pitt Ohio Express, Pittsburgh, general freight, 2,785 drivers, www.pittohio.com
51. Evans Network of Companies, Schuykill Haven, intermodal, 2,874 drivers, www.evansdelivery.com
96. A. Duie Pyle, West Chester, general freight, 980 drivers, www.aduiepyle.com
120. PGT Trucking, Monaca, flatbed/specialized/heavy haul, 882 drivers, www.pgtrucking.com
144. Smith Transport, Roaring Springs, general freight, 705 drivers, www.smithtransport.com
147. Ward Transport & Logistics Corp., Altoona, general freight, 709 drivers, www.wardtlc.com
152. Transport Investments, Pittsburgh, flatbed/specialized/heavy haul, 701 drivers, www.thetil.com
184. P I & I Motor Express, Sharon, flatbed/specialized/heavy haul, 590 drivers, www.plimx.com
187. McClymonds Supply & Transport, Portersville, tank/bulk commodities, 535 drivers, www.mcclymonds.com
230. Venezia, Royersford, tank/bulk commodities, 365 drivers, www.veneziatransport.com
249. Modern Transportation Services, Sewickley, tank/bulk commodities, 400 drivers, www.moderntrans.com