FedEx Freight driver Dan Thompson is the Alabama Trucking Association’s Driver of the Year. He was honored during the group’s annual Fleet Safety Awards Banquet, held March 25 in Birmingham.
Thompson has logged over 3 million accident-free miles during his 38-year career. He serves on FedEx’s Road Team as well as the Alabama Trucking Association’s Road Team. He previously won FedEx’s 25-year master driver award and was named to is President’s Safety Team. Thompson has competed at the Alabama Truck Driving Championship 13 times, and has won his division six times and was named Grand Champion in 2016.
“The public is counting on me to drive safely under any condition or circumstance, my family is counting on me to return home safely each evening, and my employer and co-workers are counting on me to protect their image,” Thompson said. “I cannot let any of them down. That’s been my mission my entire career.”
The association also distributed the following safety awards:
- Fleet Manager of the Year: Vance Stevens, Vulcraft Carrier Corp.
- Maintenance Professional of the Year: Duke Monroe, Church Transportation and Logistics, Inc.
- Safety Professional of the Year: Avery Baine, Vulcraft Carrier Corp.
The following fleets were awarded first place in their respective categories:
- President’s Award (safest overall fleet): Dolphin Line, Inc.
- Hazardous Materials: Georgia Tank Lines, LLC
- Tank Truck: J&M Tank Lines, Inc.
- Miscellaneous Category 1 to 3 Million Miles: Massey Hauling Co., Inc.
- Miscellaneous Category Over 10 Million Miles: FedEx Ground Package System, Inc.
- Household Goods: Motivated Movers
- Heavy Haulers: Scott Bridge Co., Inc.
- Private Carrier Over 5 Million Miles: River Valley Ingredients
- Local Under 100,000 Miles: Montgomery Transport, LLC
- Local Under 1 Million Miles: Buddy Moore Trucking, Inc.
- Local 1-3 Million Miles: Greenbush Logistics, Inc.
- Local 3-5 Million Miles: Southeastern Freight Lines, Inc.
- Local 5-10 Million Miles: Billy Barnes Enterprises, Inc.
- Linehaul Under 100,000 Miles: National Strategic Transport, LLC
- Linehaul Under 1 Million Miles: Billy Barnes Enterprises, Inc.
- Linehaul 1-3 Million Miles: R M Logistics, Inc.
- Linehaul 3-5 Million Miles: Wright Transportation, Inc.
- Linehaul 5-10 Million Miles: P&S Transportation, Inc.
- Linehaul Over 10 Million Miles: Southeastern Freight Lines, Inc.
- Combined Under 1 Million Miles: RCA Trucking, Inc.
- Combined 1-3 Million Miles: Dolphin Line, Inc.
- Combined 3-5 Million Miles: Montgomery Transport, LLC
- Combined 5-10 Million Miles: ABF Freight
- Combined Over 10 Million Miles: FedEx Freight, Inc.