Nashville blast has modest impact on trucking


The bizarre Christmas Day bomb blast that heavily damaged a large section of downtown Nashville and left the bomber dead caused surprisingly little disruption to freight movement in and around that city.

The explosion of an RV parked on Second Avenue in Nashville’s entertainment district caused damage to more than 40 structures, including the AT&T building, which caused interruptions of cellphone service and police and hospital communications in several states. However, only the suspected bomber, Anthony Quinn Warner, a 63-year-old self-employed computer consultant living in Anticoch, Tennessee, died in the blast that occurred at about 6:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 25.

The explosion and subsequent shutdown of a portion of the city did little to disrupt trucking activity in Nashville. However, the blast did cause business issues for at least one truck stop chain’s locations in and near the city.

Travel Centers of America said the explosion caused its downtown TA Nashville location (Interstate 24, James Robertson Parkway, Exit 48) and TA Franklin (Interstate 65, Exit 61) to experience internet outages. Only cash transactions were available at both locations and TA Truck Service was closed. The company urged customers to use TA Antioch (Interstate 24, Exit 62).

However, according to Marketing Coordinator Erynn Franks, “As of today, our downtown TA Nashville location and TA Franklin are now able to accept cash
and credit transactions, and TA Truck Service has reopened.” However,  those locations are still experiencing phone and fax outages.
The Tennessee Trucking Association is located about 10 miles south of Nashville. Dave Huneryager, president & CEO of the association, said the TTA experienced no problems associated with the blast and have not heard from members about any related issues.
After the RV was parked on Second Avenue, an evacuation warning was broadcast over a speaker on the vehicle. Then, shortly before it exploded, the 1960s Petula Clark hit song “Downtown” could be heard coming from the RV.
Police responding to the warnings evacuated numerous residents living in downtown apartments.