Fastport has named its 10 finalists for the Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence award, which recognizes the top rookie military veteran truck driver. The program recognizes top drivers who have made the successful transition from active duty military to driving a truck.
The winner receives a Kenworth T680 with a 76-inch sleeper that’s powered by a Paccar MX-13 and Paccar 12-speed automated transmission with Paccar 40K tandem axles.
The top three finalists program will be announced later this month in an online event, and the winner will be determined by a popular vote and will be announced on Dec. 18.
The 10 finalists for the award are:
- Patrick Blevins – U.S. Air Force, Melton Truck Lines
- Matthew Fowler – U.S. Marines, EPES Transportation
- Ivan Hernandez – U.S. Army, Werner Enterprises
- Gail Losee – U.S. Army, Stevens Transport
- Marcia Luchenbill – U.S. Army, Knight Transportation
- Shaun Mason – U.S. Army and Marines, Prime Inc.
- Ray Miller – U.S. Army, Stevens Transport
- John Shepard – U.S. Army, Roehl Transport
- Kyle Smith – U.S. Air Force, Averitt Express
- Wade Wanner – U.S. Navy, U.S. Xpress
Drivers were nominated by trucking companies that made a hiring commitment and pledge to hire veterans, by members of the National Association of Publicly Funded Truck Driving Schools, or a Commercial Vehicle Training Association-member school.
“Our 10 finalists represent a wide variety of military branches and occupations and are excellent examples of what military talent can bring to the trucking industry,” said Brad Bentley, Fastport president. “Culling the list of nominees to the top 10 was a difficult task, one not taken lightly. These finalists are outstanding and truly show the best of the best.”