For many truckers, the stand-alone, in-ear Apple AirPods provide good sound but are too small.
For others, the over-the-head style headset with two ear pads and a boom mic — even if they are wireless — are too big.
So, think of the LG Tone Flex HBS-XL7 as the Goldilocks solution for wireless, in-cab communications as it is “just right” for even the pickiest trucker. That’s because it does a lot of things well, and has the features most truckers want and need.
Let’s begin with the obvious. It’s bigger than the AirPods and smaller than that typical, two-ear-cup headset. It’s lightweight at just a bit more than an ounce and a half. That means you can put it on first thing and keep it on all day without any discomfort.
Making it even more comfortable is that it wraps around your neck. A rubberized section at the back helps keep it in place.
On the left side of the Flex are the control buttons: on/off, playback, volume. On the right side is a single button for the Google Assistant, which delivers notifications and can be used to make inquiries and calls.
The LG Tone Flex HBS-XL7 is a moderately priced Bluetooth headset loaded with features usually found in more expensive gear. The Flex features:
- 32-Bit hi-fi DAC (digital to analog conversion) for premium-quality sound
- Retractable earbuds that won’t get lost
- 8 hours of talk/listening time
- 10 days of standby battery life
- Fast access and response from Google Assistant
- Fast charging; 10 minutes of charging delivers three hours of play time
- Dual microphones make sure you’re properly heard
- Fast Bluetooth pairing with any make of smartphone
- USB C-type charging
Available online and at travel centers.