As we bring in a new year, it’s the perfect time for those considering a career change to explore the world of trucking. Seeking advice from seasoned professionals can make the journey go a lot smoother.
The RoadPro Pro Driver Council, a group of experienced drivers, shared valuable tips for new drivers.
- Be receptive to advice from veteran drivers
- Do your research and talk to other drivers before joining a company
- Have a plan to get the most out of trucking
- Carry basic tools like fuses, duct tape, glue, glad hands, gloves, and a tire patch kit
- Give yourself 3-4 months to decide if you like it
- Obtain all necessary endorsements from the start
- Learn to drive manual and not just automatic
- Never leave home without a jacket, the weather is very unpredictable
- Join trucking Facebook groups to get to know other truckers
- Minimize distractions from home