First of all, let’s get this straight: There are far more than 10 cool things to see and do when the Great American Trucking Show (GATS) rolls into Dallas’ Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center Thursday through Saturday, Aug. 27-29.
Lots more. Many more. A truckload more.
So just consider this a list of the creme dela creme, the best of the best, the, dare we say, “must see” activities of this highlight of the summer for U.S. truck drivers.
1. Overdrive’s Pride & Polish. With apologies to Meghan Trainor, “It’s all about the trucks, about the trucks …” and GATS has Overdrive’s Pride & Polish. This is arguably the biggest, baddest collection of custom show trucks in the U.S. A highlight will be the awarding of the series’ winners Saturday, Aug. 29 at 11 a.m. One of the even cooler parts of GATS is when the trucks roll out at 5 p.m. Saturday.
2. Landstar’s Fit for the Road Health & Wellness Pavilion. Getting fit. Eating well. Taking care of yourself while on the road. It’s not easy. But, jog or all briskly, to the Health & Wellness Pavilion and jumpstart your wellness program. Many experts. Lots of tips. Demonstrations of how to cook well while on the road. See the complete schedule.
3. Free Concert by Country Star John Anderson. This is the singer/songwriter behind such country chart toppers as Seminol Wind, Straigh Tequila Nights and Swingin’ and he’s at GATS and the concert is free. Tony Justice opens for Anderson, who has a new album out.
4. Recruiting Pavilion. Looking for a new job? Looking for a new company? The Recruiting Pavilion at GATS has 99 companies looking to help you get behind the wheel of a truck or improve your job situation. Talk about one-stop job shopping!
Join a Community of Truckers at GATS
From free concerts to highly educational sessions, GATS is where trucking gathers. August 23-25, in Dallas, Texas. Register today.
It’s where trucking comes home.
The Great American Trucking Show is bigger and better than ever before. Don’t miss out on the rigs, the swag, the tips and more.
Discover GATS! →
6. Trucker Talent Search. Jimmie Rogers may have been “The Singin’ Brakeman,” but there are three talented guys who will compete for what might be called the title of “The Singin’ Trucker. You can see the three finalists — Nate Moran, Don Whatley and Paul Marhoefer — perform Friday, Aug. 28 at 3:30 p.m. at the GATS Theater. Come back Saturday, Aug. 29 at 10:45 a.m. to see who wins.
7. i Luv My Trucker. Love is in the air at GATS. Trucker love that is. Stop by the Truckers News booth and share your love for that special trucker in your life. Booth #10051.
8. Evel Knievel’s “Big Red” Mack Hauler. How did America’s most famous motorcycle daredevil get from one hair-raising stunt to the next? With his Mack hauler known as “Big Red.” The 1974 Mack FS786LST has been restored and will be at the show along with a bunch of Evel Knievel memorabilia.
9. Fit for the Road 5K Walk and/or Run. You can even jock out at GATS. On Saturday (Aug. 29) morning — early Saturday morning — join fellow truckers and fitness enthusiasts for the GATS 5K Walk and Run. Proceeds benefit a trucker charity. Sign up online.
10. GATS Theater. New this year, the GATs Theater will be the site of Trucker Talent Search performances, the crowning of Overdrive’s Most Beautiful Trucker, several educational programs and the Pride & Polish awards presentation. See the full schedule.
And, to make it easy to find these and all the other things going on at GATS, download the app to your smartphone and get ready to see it all.
GATS is open:
Thursday noon to 5 p.m.
Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Check out where to park.