That staple of summer — the hot dog — is celebrated Wednesday, July 19 and two national truck stop chains are joining in.
On National Hot Dog Day, Pilot Flying J and Love’s will offer free hot dogs to visitors
Love’s customers can access the a bar code good for a free hot dog or roller grill item on the company’s Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, July 19. Customers can redeem one coupon per transaction at participating locations in 41 states.
At Pilot Flying J, you can get a free hot dog or other roller grill item just by presenting a special bar code found here. The Pilot Flying J promotion runs through Wednesday, July 26.
So you can sound like an expert on National Hot Dog Day, here are some factoids from the National Hot dog & Sausage Council that will astound — or annoy — your friends and coworkers:
- Los Angeles residents consume more hot dogs than any other city (more than 36 million pounds).
- Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport consumes six times more hot dogs — 725,000 more than Los Angeles International Airport and LaGuardia Airport combined.
- On the Fourth of July, Americans will eat 150 million hot dogs.
- During peak hot dog season, Memorial Day to Labor Day, Americans consume 7 billion hot dogs. That’s 818 hot dogs consumed every second during that period.
- Fans at Major League Baseball parks enjoyed 19.4 million hot dogs during the 2016 season.