Flavored nuts: you see them in every truck stop and convenience store you walk into. You’ve probably even bought some, and for good reason: they are tasty and fill in nicely between meals.
But, they also come with a lot of salt, and are not cheap.
So, here’s a DIY solution. Make spiced nuts at home, pack them in zip top baggies and hit the road.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 400°F.
2. HEAT 1 Tbsp butter and the appropriate spices in a small saucepan.
3. STIR in the nuts, then spread them on a baking sheet.
4. ROAST for 10 to 12 minutes, until very fragrant and warm, but not overly toasted.
Chili Almonds ( 116 cal, 11 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 20 mg sodium, 2 g fiber)
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whole unpeeled almonds
Curried Cashews (111 cal, 9 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 3 mg sodium, 1 g fiber)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 c unsalted cashews
Five-Spice Peanuts (120 cal, 11 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 11 mg sodium, 1 g fiber)
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 c salted peanuts
Cocoa Pecans (128 cal, 12 g fat, 2 g sat.fat, 150 mg sodium, 1 g fiber)
- ½ Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 c pecan halves