A company driver with 60 years on the road was recently honored by one of the nation’s largest trucking organizations.
Frank Calvert, professional truck driver with AAA Cooper, was honored by the American Trucking Associations as the industry’s National Truck Driver of the Year.
The ATA’s Safety Management Council recognized Calvert at its annual Safety, Security and Human Resources National Conference and Exhibition in Oklahoma City recently.
Other awards were also handed out.
Lisa Gonnerman of Ruan Transportation as the winner of the 2016 National Safety Director Award.
The Tennessee Trucking Association was honored with the State Excellence Award, given annually to a state trucking association making innovative and impactful progress on promoting safety to their members.
The ATA President’s Award was given to three companies who exhibited safety excellence in their daily operations:
- Gorski Bulk Transport, Detroit, for fleets under 25 million miles
- TCW Inc., Nashville, for fleets between 25 million and 100 million miles
- Old Dominion Freight Line, Thomasville, North Carolina for fleets with more than 100 million miles.
Security was also featured in several of the awards given out:
- ABF Freight System Inc. was presented the Excellence in Security award
- Old Dominion Freight Line and Roehl Transport Inc. were honored with the Excellence in Claims and Loss Prevention Award in the less-than-truckload and truckload divisions, respectively.
“Awards like these are the trucking industry’s acknowledgement of worthwhile effort applied to the area that matters most to our industry – safety,” said ATA President & CEO Chris Spear.