The Truckload Carriers Association’s 2021-22 Chairman will be D.M. Bowman, Inc.’s President James Ward. He was introduced Tuesday, April 20 during TCA’s virtual Board of Directors Meeting that was held in conjunction with the association’s Spring Business Meetings.
Ward, who resides in Hagerstown, Maryland with his wife, Starla, has been in the transportation industry for 43 years. Prior to joining D.M. Bowman in 1986, he started his career with the Western Maryland Railroad. Jim served as Managing Director of the Transportation Industry Division for Willis of Nashville, Tennessee starting in 1992 before returning to D.M. Bowman, Inc. in 1999.
In addition to Ward’s responsibilities as TCA Chairman, he also serves on TCA’s Board of Directors, Financial Oversight Committee, Highway Policy Committee, Regulatory Policy Committee, and Recruitment & Retention Human Resources Committee.
D.M. Bowman Inc., a TCA member company for 55 years, began in 1959 when Don Bowman climbed into his used B 61 Mack tractor and trailer to haul coal. Don operated the tractor and trailer as an owner-operator with the dream of one day having 10 trucks. Don Bowman founded D.M. Bowman, Inc. which obtained its first ICC Authority in 1966, adding several trucks to transport bricks from Williamsport, Maryland to locations outside of the state. Throughout the years, the company has added short-haul truckload and warehousing services. D.M. Bowman, Inc. currently has a fleet of 382 power units and eight terminals on the east coast.
The following individuals will assist Ward as TCA’s officers:
- Immediate Past Chair: Dennis Dellinger, President & CEO, Cargo Transporters, Inc.
- First Vice-Chair: John Elliott, CEO, Load One, LLC
- Second Vice-Chair: David Williams, Executive Vice President, Knight-Swift Transportation
- Treasurer: Karen Smerchek, President, Veriha Trucking, Inc.
- Secretary: Pete Hill, Vice President, Hill Brothers Transportation, Inc.
- Association Vice President to ATA: Joey Hogan, President, Covenant Transport
- At-Large Officer: John Culp, Executive Vice President of Finance, Maverick USA
- At-Large Officer: Ed Nagle, President, Nagle Toledo, Inc
- At-Large Officer: Jon Coca, President, Diamond Transportation System, Inc.
- At-Large Officer: Mark Seymour, President & CEO, Kriska Transportation Group
- At-Large Officer: Trevor Kurtz, General Manager, Brian Kurtz Trucking, LTD