The challenges of being a successful professional truck driver in 2019 are many and varied. Schedules have never been tighter, detention and congestion are growing, while options for safe parking are shrinking. Oh, and there are the ELDs.
So, there’s nothing wrong with seeking and employing all the help you can get. That means having a GPS unit you can rely on, and that has features necessary for success and safety in the rigorous world of the professional driver.
For many drivers that means having a Garmin dēzlCam 785 LMT-S GPS truck navigator on the dash of their truck. There’s also the TomTom Trucker 620, which is also loaded with features tailored to life on the road.
Garmin dēzlCam 785 LMT-S GPS includes added safety
With a 7-inch touchscreen and voice-controlled navigation, the Garmin dēzlCam 785 LMT-S GPS delivers an array of features today’s savvy truckers require.
Its built-in dashcam continuously records your drive, capturing and saving the footage whenever an incident is detected. Optional GPS overlay provides location, speed, date and time of the incident to verify when and where the events occurred. You can playback the video on the dēzlCam screen using the VIBA Mobile app on your smartphone or tablet to view and share your footage. In addition to recording, the dash cam also enables advanced driver assistance features such as forward collision and lane departure warnings.
Beyond the dashcam, the Garmin dēzlCam 785 is loaded with helpful features that include:
- voice-activated navigation lets you control your dēzlCam 785 LMT-S with simple voice commands, so your hands can stay on the wheel
- access to data that helps locate available parking spaces at truck stops and rest areas
- preloaded maps that deliver truck-related route warnings — bridge heights, sharp curves, steep grades — for most major roads and highways.
- the ability to enter vehicle profile information (height, weight, length, width and hazardous materials) to find routes suitable for your truck
- easy break planning with timely notifications that help make the most of each stop
- a truck and trailer services directory of more than 30,000 truck repair and service locations in the U.S. and Canada, including those offering after-hours road service
- service history log so you can record the dates and type of service performed, keep track of tire mileage, tire pressure, oil changes, tire changes
The dēzlCam 785 works with Garmin eLog compliant ELD (sold separately) for subscription-free hours of service recording with no smartphone or tablet required.
Available online and at travel centers.
TomTom 620 Trucker: OTR problem-solver
Recent studies have shed light on some of the problems that are troubling more and more professional truck drivers every day. Detention times at shippers and receivers are getting longer. Congestion on highways, especially in metropolitan areas, continues to increase, costing carriers and drivers more and more time and money. Communities and businesses are eliminating overnight truck parking and states are even closing rest areas.
Even the most skilled of veteran drivers can be forgiven if they sometimes ask themselves, “Is it worth it anymore?”
While it can’t eliminate those thorny issues, the TomTom Trucker 620 GPS can help you avoid the daily consequences of these overarching concerns of the trucking industry.
Loaded with features truckers need, the TomTom Trucker 620 is a GPS built for the needs and demands of the driver who must have reliable information to make safe choices on the road. And, that’s everyone behind the wheel of a truck.
With a 6-inch screen and built-in WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, the Trucker 620 delivers its impressive services by voice control, meaning you keep your hands on the wheel but still get your smartphone’s messages and make outgoing calls.
Here’s what else the Trucker 620 delivers:
- Alerts for congestion ahead
- Customized routes for your truck’s specific dimensions, weight, cargo, and maximum speed
- Locations for parking, truck stops, travel centers, fuel stations, restaurants and service centers
- Smartphone messages read to you from your SMS and iMessage
- Access to Siri or Google Now using the device’s built-in microphone
- Lifetime truck maps delivered at no extra cost via WiFi. And, lifetime TomTom Traffic, which tells you how to avoid traffic, both on highways and secondary roads
The Trucker 620’s speaker and microphone deliver quality, hands-free calls. Just connect your phone via Bluetooth, and you’ll see who’s calling on your Trucker 620’s screen.
The TomTom Trucker 620 attaches to the dash of your truck with an easy to use magnetic mounting device.
Available online and in travel centers.