The search continues to find America’s top military veteran who has made the transition from active duty to driving for a commercial fleet.
Drivers must be nominated by their motor carrier or training organization by June 30 for the “Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence” award.
Kenworth will again provide the top award, a Kenworth T680 Advantage equipped with a 76-inch sleeper, a 455-hp PACCAR MX-13 engine and PACCAR 40K tandem rear axle.
The contest is sponsored and staged by Kenworth, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring our Heroes Program and FASTPORT.
To be eligible to win the Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence Award, candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
- Military veteran or current or former member of the National Guard or Reserves
- Graduate of a PTDI-certified, NAPFTDS or CVTA member driver training school, and a current CDL holder
- Employed by any for-hire carrier or private fleet trucking company that has pledged to hire veterans through the Trucking Track Mentoring Program
- First employed as a CDL driver in trucking between January 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018
- Legal resident of the continental United States
The top rookie will be determined by an panel of judges based on criteria in the contest rules, including availability of loads, on time delivery, highway safety performance, customer relations, work record, military service record, and non-job related activities/community service.
The Hiring our Heroes program runs throughout the year, with hiring fairs slated at military bases, truck industry events, and at venues near military bases.