A total of 431 competitors from all 50 states, representing 85 different companies, participated in the 78th annual National Truck Driving Championships held Aug. 11-15 in St. Louis. The competitors collectively have driven more than 665 million accident-free miles.
The competition tested drivers on their knowledge of safety, equipment and the industry. Specifically, drivers were tested on their skills at judging distances, maneuvering tight spaces, reversing, and positioning their vehicle over scales, before barriers or around curves.
And the winners were …
2015 National Truck Driving Championship Winners:
- Grand Champion: Ronald Emenheiser, Walmart Transportation, Yorkana, Pa.
- National Rookie of the Year: Brook Figgins, FedEx Freight, Trinidad, Colo.
- State Team Trophy: Wisconsin
- Vehicle Condition Award: Ricky Boone, Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc., Candler, North Carolina – 3-Axle class
- Neill Darmstadter Professional Excellence Award: Douglas Padgett, Robinson Terminal Warehouse Corp., Alexandria, Virginia – Flatbed class
- Life-Time Volunteer Award: Susan Webb, Wisconsin Motor Carriers Association
National champions were also crowned in several different classes.
Straight Truck Class
- First Place: Jeremy Steger, Con-way Freight, Plymouth, Wis.
- Second Place: Loren Hatfield, ABF Freight System, Inc., Maumelle, Ark.
- Third Place: Ernest Budlowski, Con-way Freight, Shelton, Conn.
- First Place: Donald Logan, FedEx Freight, Eskridge, Kan.
- Second Place: Dwayne Heaverin, FedEx Express, Dry Ridge, Ky.
- Third Place: Paul Butkowski, FedEx Freight, Sauk Rapids, Minn.
- First Place: Bradley Lester, FedEx Freight, Happy Valley, Ore.
- Second Place: David Hall, ABF Freight System, Inc., Austin, Ark.
- Third Place: James Quarles, Walmart Transportation, Laurens, S.C.
- First Place: Eric Ramsdell, Walmart Transportation, Wittmann, Ariz.
- Second Place: Chad Rudesill, FedEx Ground, Tickfaw, La.
- Third Place: Basher Pierce, FedEx Freight, Sophia, N.C.
- First Place: Scott Woodrome, FedEx Freight, Middletown, Ohio
- Second Place: Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express, East Longmeadow, Mass.
- Third Place: John Wiley, Walmart Transportation, London, Ky.
Tank Truck Class
- First Place: Brian Singelais, Sr., A. Duie Pyle, Inc., Webster, Mass
- Second Place: John Maddox, Jr., Ergon Trucking, Inc., Stringer, Miss.
- Third Place: David Magee, FedEx Freight, Huntingdon, Tenn.
- First Place: David Mogler, FedEx Freight, Commerce City, Colo.
- Second Place: Gerald Thompson, Con-way Freight, Grand Island, N.Y.
- Third Place: Jeffrey Langenhahn, Con-way Freight, Plover, Wisc.
Sleeper Berth Class
- First Place: Ronald Emenheiser, Walmart Transportation, Yorkana, Pa.
- Second Place: Wayne Gootee, Walmart Transportation, Brooklyn, Mich.
- Third Place: Eric Courville, FedEx Freight, Breaux Bridge, La.
- First Place: Andrew Tuck, FedEx Ground, Xenia, Ohio
- Second Place: Nick Frazier, FedEx Ground, Granby, Mo.
- Third Place: Dean Harris, FedEx Freight, Shawnee, Kan.