As uncomfortable as it is to talk about, this is a fact of life for a woman truck driver: There are too many times when you can’t find a convenient, safe or clean place to urinate.
Often while loading or unloading, there may be a single bathroom that was last cleaned during the Roosevelt administration — Teddy, not Franklin. Or, your only option is a highly-trafficked porta-potty. Then there are those emergencies when there is no place to pee, but you still need to.
Luckily, there are solutions, and none of them have to do with the phrase, “Just hold it!”
There are a number of devices on the market that allow you to answer nature’s call while standing, just like guys.
They go by many brand names but are variously called “female disposable urine directors,” “portable travel urination devices,” or “disposable urinal.”
Among the disposable ones are:
- KleanGo Disposable Female Urination Device: five pack for $8.99
- P-Mate Female Disposable Urine Director: five for $6.50 (See how to use it.)
- Urinelle: seven for $8.99
- The Pee Pocket: three for $3.50
And, then there are those that you can use more than once:
- Go Girl, which comes with a case, waterproof bags and moist towelettes: $14.95
- Evinis: $10.99 for a four pack
Regardless of their name or how they work, here are a few helpful tips:
- Practice at home before taking the device on the the road
- Place the device securely against your body and be sure to maintain the seal on the back
- Find a position that allows you to control your flow. This could involve shifting your hips, bending your legs or arching your back