“Overdrive” Senior Editor Todd Dills recently attended a special event and wrote:
Friday, July 1, at the headquarters of U.S. Xpress in Chattanooga, Tennessee, military members, U.S. Xpress drivers and employees and numerous other dignitaries gathered for the unveiling of the company’s new military-veteran hiring initiative.
“We’re really excited to be officially kicking off,” said U.S. Xpress President and COO Eric Fuller. The hiring initiative is aimed not only at bringing ex-military people into truck-driving careers but also into roles as “diesel mechanics and office employees,” Fuller added. “We think this is really important” as a service to the nation — “a no-brainer, really, and it’s the right thing to do.”
The company presented the keys to six specially decorated 2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution models to specially selected drivers and teams among the company’s current driver corps.
Receiving the specially-wrapped trucks were:
- Rebekah Davis, team driver with her husband, Don, in the Coast Guard-themed tractor
- Lincoln Brown in the Army Cascadia Evolution
- Tyrone McCloud in the Marines-themed unit
- Navy veteran Pete Ingram and his wife, Lori, driving team in the Navy-themed truck
- John Omaster in the Air Force truck
- Tom and Weazy Sullivan in the truck with a broadly patriotic theme