If you’re looking to indulge at dinner time, this recipe from McCormick for slow cooker cajun chicken with sausage might just be what you need.
This recipe has the added bonus of making 12 servings, so you’ll have plenty of leftovers to spread throughout the week. It has a prep time of about 15 minutes and can be done in roughly 4 hours.
Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken with Sausage Recipe
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 3/4 pound lean turkey sausage, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups instant white rice
- Mix paprika, thyme, garlic powder and red pepper in a small bowl. Place sausage, onions, bell peppers, celery, tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaves and 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mixture into the slow cooker. Stir to blend well. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with remaining seasoning mixture. Cover.
- Cook 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Gently stir in rice. Cover. Cook 15-20 minutes on HIGH or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Calories: 232
- Sodium: 417 miligrams
- Total Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrate: 20 grams
- Cholesterol: 71 miligrams
- Protein: 20 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams