Two outstanding drivers will each win $25,000 through the Driver of the Year contests, thanks to sponsors Love’s Travel Stops and Cummins.
The contests are put on by the Truckload Carriers Association and Randall-Reilly, publisher of Truckers News and its sister magazine, Overdrive. The Company Driver of the Year winner will be highlighted by Truckers News, and the Owner-Operator of the Year winner will be featured in Overdrive.
Three finalists for each award will attend the TCA Annual Convention, March 8-11, in Kissimmee, Fla., where the winners will be named.
The company driver finalists are:
- Danny Smith of Shelbyville, Tenn., who drives for Big G Express, Inc., also of Shelbyville, Tenn.
- Johnny Chestnut of Lakeland, Fla., who drives for Saddle Creek Transportation, also of Lakeland.
- Gary Teel of Whiting, Iowa, who drives for Weinrich Truck Line, of Hinton, Iowa.
The owner-operator finalists are:
- Glen Horack of Elkland, Missouri, who is leased to Prime Inc., of Springfield, Mo.
- Thomas Miller of Bunker Hill, Illinois, who also is leased to Prime.
- Bryan Smith of Asbury, Iowa, who is leased to Art Pape Transfer, of Dubuque, Iowa.
The finalists’ selection was based on safety record, efforts to improve trucking’s image and contributions to their community. To be eligible for the contests, applicants must have driven one million consecutive, accident-free miles.