The Arkansas Trucking Association recently created the Arkansas Road Team, a group of truck drivers chosen for their commitment to safety, communication ability and interest in improving the image of the trucking industry.
The team is public education service of the association to address highway safety and to educate the motoring public on safe driving, especially near large commercial vehicles.
Team embers for 2015-2016 include:
- April Coolidge – USA Truck, Van Buren
- Danny Fuller – Con-way Freight, Jonesboro
- Loren Hatfield – ABF Freight, North Little Rock
- Gary Jaworski – Walmart Transportation, Clarksville
- Robert Kelley – Walmart Transportation, Searcy
- Gary Mars – Walmart Transportation, Bentonville
- Tom Miller – USA Truck, Van Buren
- Larry Rhein – FedEx Freight, Harrison
- Mark Rook – FedEx Freight, Little Rock
- Arthur “Otto” Schmeckenbecher – ABF Freight, North Little Rock
- Walter J. Stanley – ABF Freight, North Little Rock
- Jerry Whittenburg – Stallion Transportation Group, Beebe
“The selection panel spent a full day reviewing nominations and interviewing a number of great candidates,” according to David O’Neal, director of safety services for the ATA. “They had a tough job narrowing it down to the best of the best.”
Member of the team represent a cross-section of drivers, in terms of background, experience, culture, and geography. Made up of 12 drivers from six different trucking companies, these drivers will conduct Share the Road demonstrations, safety best practices and other educational events and promotions.
The Road Team was made possible after the Arkansas Highway Commission awarded the association with funds from the Arkansas Commercial Truck Safety and Education Program (ACTSEP) to promote safety on Arkansas roadways. “I’m excited to have such an outstanding group of professional drivers representing our state and industry,” said Shannon Newton, president of the Arkansas Trucking Association. “They will be great ambassadors for the men and women who move Arkansas and America forward every day.”
The Arkansas Trucking Association would like to thank the selection panel, who interviewed and judged each candidate’s prepared presentation: Steve Fields, YRC Freight (America’s Road Team Captain); Subrina Ghorashi, American Trucking Associations; Tom Ricciardone, Thinc Marketing Group; Butch Rice, Stallion Transportation Group; Scott Stewart, Distribution Solutions, Inc.; Major Jay Thompson, Arkansas Highway Police; and Shannon Newton, Arkansas Trucking Association