TA/Petro recognized its five latest Citizen Drivers Friday, March 24 during a luncheon at the Mid-America Trucking Show at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville.
This year’s winners, all of whom will have a TA/Petro travel center named in their honor, include:
- Martin Ellis of Carl Junction, Missouri, who drives for A & E Express (TA in Rogers, Minnesota)
- Idella Hansen of Camden, Arkansas who drives for IBI Secured Transport (TA in North Little Rock, Arkansas)
- Evan Haston of North Richland Hills, Texas, who drives for National Carriers (TA Amarillo, Texas)
- Dick Pingle of Plover, Wisconsin, who drives for D & G Transportation (TA Madison, Wisconsin)
- Jim Wilcox of Farmington, New Mexico, who drives for Spiff Services (TA Albuquerque, New Mexico)
“2017’s honorees really are an amazing group of people,” said TA/Petro President and CEO Tom O’Brien.
He added that all of them exemplified what it takes to be a leader. He said each member of this group of drivers have the trait exhibited by all great leaders: they take action. O’Brien said they are unwilling to sit still when they see something that needs to be address. They don’t need to be told to act, they just do, said O’Brien.
All of the nominees have been active in their home communities as well being exemplary drivers.
The five finalists were chosen from a field of 14 nominees.
Friday’s luncheon is the last to be held at MATS.
During his presentation, O’Brien said TA/Petro plans to take the recognition program on the road in the future. The goal, he said, is to “take it up a notch,” keep it “fresh and exciting,” and expose people in other parts of the country to the good works performed by Citizen Drivers.
“We want to show more people the importance of trucking,” said O’Brien.