If you’ve got something to say about autonomous trucks, you now have more time to say it to the federal government.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have extended by 30 days the comment period on a proposed rule on what it calls “automated commercial motor vehicles.” The new cutoff for comments is Aug. 28.
The agencies want to hear comments concerning:
- Distracted driving/monitoring
- Whether regulations should require the presence of a human driver
- Commercial driver license endorsements
- Medical qualifications for human operators
- Safe driving and drug and alcohol testing
- Inspection, repair, and maintenance
The comment period was extended following a request from the American Trucking Associations and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Technology Engagement Center.