The Women In Trucking Association is seeking nominations for ita annual Driver of the Year award sponsored by Walmart.
The fifth annual award recognizes exceptional female professional drivers who lead the industry in safety standards while actively working to enhance the public image of the trucking industry, accordinbg to a statement from the organization.
“It’s a joy to celebrate and honor drivers each year through the Women In Trucking Driver of the Year award. Recognizing the value that female drivers bring to the trucking profession is a key mission of WIT and we’re pleased to showcase their stories year after year,” said Jennifer Hedrick, WIT president and CEO.
The application is open to any female driver who has demonstrated safety on the road and a positive contribution to the trucking industry and their community. Nominations are due no later than Jan. 29, 2024.
Other requirements include:
- The application is open to any female driver who has safely driven at least one million consecutive, accident-free miles.
- Nominations are open to owner-operators and company drivers.
- The driver must be nominated by the motor carrier by which she is currently leased or employed and must have three years of experience with that company.
- A personal statement explaining in 250 words or less why they should be selected.
- At least three letters of recommendation explaining in 250 words or less why the driver should be selected.
The finalists and overall winner will be recognized at the 2024 Salute to Women Behind the Wheel event at the Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, Kentucky Friday, March 22. The winner will be chosen based on her safety record, positive community contributions, and impact on the public image of the trucking industry. She will receive a plaque, a commemorative ring and more.
Nomination forms can be submitted at Driver of the Year Award (womenintrucking.org).