As the June 25 deadline for nomination approaches, Kenworth, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring our Heroes Program and FASTPORT look to find America’s top rookie military veteran who is driving for a commercial fleet after retiring from the U.S. Armed Forces.
Under the “Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence” recognition program, Kenworth will again provide the top award – a Kenworth T680 fully loaded with a 76-inch sleeper and the PACCAR Powertrain, which includes the PACCAR MX-13 engine, PACCAR 12-speed automated transmission, and PACCAR 40K tandem rear axles.
To be eligible to win the award, candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
- Military veteran or current or former member of the National Guard or Reserves
- Graduate of a PTDI-certified, NAPFTDS or CVTA member driver training school, and a current CDL holder
- Employed by any for-hire carrier or private fleet trucking company that has pledged to hire veterans through the Trucking Track Mentoring Program (https://truckingtrack.org).
- First employed as a CDL driver in trucking between January 1, 2018 and June 25, 2019.
- A legal resident of the continental United States.
Full criteria and online nomination forms can be found on the “Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence” website (www.transitiontrucking.org).
Judges will determine the winner based on criteria in the contest rules, including the availability of loads, on time delivery, highway safety performance, customer relations, work record, military service record, and non-job related activities/community service.