The start of November means winter is creeping in across the nation, bringing colder temperatures with it.
Embrace the colder weather with a warm bowl of three-bean chili, which is wholesome enough to serve as a great dinner meal. This American Heart Association recipe, from their “Quick & Easy Cookbook,” produces four servings with 411 calories per serving. Consider making this one before you head out for the long haul, and heat it up in a microwave on the nights you’re craving something quick but filling.
Do you have your own favorite chili recipes to keep you cozy and full during the winter weather? Share your recipe in the comments below.
Three-Bean Chili Recipe
- 28 ounce no-salt-added, diced, canned tomatoes, undrained
- 15.5 ounce canned, no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 15.5 ounce canned, no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- 15.5 ounce canned, no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 12 ounce light beer (or nonalcoholic)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free, plain yogurt
- Snipped, fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
- In a large saucepan, stir together the tomatoes with liquid, beans, chickpeas, beer, chili powder, cumin and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve into bowls.
- Top each serving with about 2 tablespoon of yogurt and sprinkle with the parsley or cilantro.
- Makes: 4 servings, serving size is 1 3/4 cups
- Calories: 411
- Total Fat: 2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 grams
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0 grams
- Cholesterol: 1 miligram
- Sodium: 264 miligrams
- Carbohydrates: 71 grams
- Fiber: 16 grams
- Sugars: 15 grams
- Protein: 23 grams