The American Trucking Associations Tuesday, Jan. 10, named 20 company drivers as 2017-2018 America’s Road Team Captains.
Named to the group, which functions as image ambassadors for the trucking industry, were:
- Steve Brand, FedEx Freight
- Jon Brockway, Walmart Transportation LLC
- John Gaddy, Carbon Express, Inc.
- W. Scott Harrison, K Limited Carrier Ltd
- Rhonda Hartman, Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc.
- Gary Helms, Covenant Transport, Inc.
- Bill Krouse, YRC Freight
- David Livingston, TCW, Inc.
- Charles Lobsiger, Walmart Transportation LLC
- Timothy Melody, ABF Freight System, Inc.
- James Moore, Saia LTL Freight
- Chris Outen, FedEx Freight
- Charlton Paul Jr., UPS Freight
- Jeffrey Payne, Reddaway, Inc.
- Stephen Richardson, Big G Express, Inc.
- Michael Sheeds, Werner Enterprises
- Steven Smalley, ABF Freight System, Inc.
- Gary Smith, Garner Trucking, Inc.
- Earl Taylor, Penske Logistics
- Tim Taylor, FedEx Freight
For the next two years, the newly chosen captains will tour North America in ATA’s Interstate One Image Truck, an American flag emblazoned Volvo VNL 780 with a state-of-the-art truck driving simulator. According to the ATA, the captains, who will remain full-time truck drivers with their various ATA member companies, will speak about the life of a truck driver, the role trucking plays in the delivery of critical goods and the safety-first mentality held by drivers.
The America’s Road Team is sponsored by Volvo Trucks. It was established in 1986 as an outreach initiative designed to introduce the motoring public, lawmakers and the media to the trucking industry.