Inspectors in an unannounced Brake Safety Day held May 3 sidelined almost 2,000 vehicles across North America.
Enforcement personnel throughout North America conducted inspections on trucks and buses to identify out-of-adjustment brakes, and brake-system and antilock braking system violations as part of the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s Operation Airbrake Program.
Here are the results by the numbers:
- 9,524 inspections were conducted
- 1,989 (21 percent) inspections conducted resulted in a vehicle being placed out of service for vehicle violations of any kind
- 1,146 (12 percent) inspections conducted resulted in a vehicle being placed out of service for brake-related violations
- 4,635 air-braked trucks and tractors were identified as requiring ABS and 391 had ABS violations
- 3,222 trailers were identified as requiring ABS and 487 had ABS violations
- 723 hydraulic-braked trucks required ABS and 41 had ABS violations
The next Brake Safety Day event will take place Thursday, Sept. 7, throughout Canada, Mexico and the U.S.