The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Wednesday announced the opening of applications for the Truck Leasing Task Force.
The task force is an initiative mandated by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and a long-term effort of the Trucking Action Plan. As part of the plan’s initiatives, the TLTF will evaluate the impacts of commercial motor vehicle lease agreements and discuss best practices for future agreements.
The task force will include a maximum of 10 members representing labor organizations, motor carriers, consumer protection groups, legal professionals, owner-operators, and other relevant businesses. TLTF will submit a report to FMCSA and the U.S. Department of Labor.
TLTF’s charter runs through Feb.11, 2024. FMCSA encourages diverse, non-traditional representatives, especially women and people of color, to apply to serve on the task force. To apply, please visit www.fmcsa.dot.gov/tltf. The application period is open through Friday, May 6.
“The Truck Leasing Task Force represents one of the important actions the administration is taking to improve the trucking industry,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg. “America’s truck drivers need and deserve fair leasing agreements, and this work will help ensure that leasing is above board.”
TLTF will cover many areas related to truck leasing arrangements, including:
- Exploring predatory truck leasing arrangements in coordination with DOL and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Evaluating common truck lease agreements and their terms, identifying and reviewing those that are potentially inequitable in the motor carrier industry
- Reviewing agreements available to drayage drivers at ports
- Studying the impact of truck leasing agreements on the net compensation of commercial motor vehicle drivers
- Examining truck leasing arrangements and financing arrangements among motor carriers, entry-level drivers, driver training providers, and others involved in the industry
- Assessing resources that assist CMV drivers in reviewing the financial impacts of leasing agreements
“The Task Force will be instrumental in expanding our understanding of the financial impacts of truck leasing and will reinforce our commitment to quality of life and safety for professional truck drivers,” said FMCSA Acting Administrator Robin Hutcheson. “We ask those who are interested in joining to reach out so we can better support CMV drivers together.”