A driver for ABF Freight took home several awards from the Wyoming Trucking Association's annual driving skills competition held at the Wyoming Department of Transportation facility in Cheyenne.
A.J. Kelly received the L.E. Meredith Award for highest overall score. He also took home the Kim Fife Memorial Award for the high individual score for driving skills. Kelly also won the twin trailers class.
There was a tie for the high individual score for the personal interview. It was shared by Marquis Adkisson, Walmart Transportation, and Thomas Rohr, United Parcel Service.
Joseph Hitesman, Old Dominion Freight Line, had the high individual score in the pre-trip inspection competition.
Marquis Adkisson, Walmart Transportation, was awarded the 2023 Rookie of the Year honor.
The team from Walmart Transportation, consisting of Marquis Adkisson, Robert Bibbrey, and Kevin Cyr, won the team trophy.
First-place winners included:
- Straight Truck: Simon Navarro, Old Dominion Freight Line
- 4-Axle: Jose Castillo, Old Dominion Freight Line
- 5-Axle: Heath Holstein, XPO
- Flatbed: Myron Means, Old Dominion Freight Line
- Tanker: Timothy Miller, ABF Freight
- Sleeper Berth: Marquis Adkisson, Walmart Transportation
- Twin: A.J. Kelly, ABF Freight
First-place winners will compete in the National Truck Driving Championships in Columbus, Ohio, Aug. 16-19.