With the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance's annual International Roadcheck scheduled for May 16-18, Travel Centers of America's Truck Service. is offering free mid-trip inspections between now and May 15.
The main purpose of a mid-trip inspection is to help ensure the safety, reliability, and functionality of your truck and cargo, according to a statement from TA. A thorough mid-trip inspection covers all aspects of your vehicle, including:
- Tires: Ensure proper pressure and tread depth, and spot damage or wear early
- Brakes: Test the entire system for performance, functionality, safety, and compliance
- Fluids: Look out for oil, coolant, and other fluid leaks, or signs of contamination
- Electrical System: Verify that the battery, alternator, wiring, connectors, lights, and signals are functioning
- Suspension: Detect any damage or malfunction in the shocks and other suspension components
- Cargo: Be sure your vehicle’s cargo is secured properly to avoid safety hazards on the road
Vigilant professional truck drivers learn to look out for any signs that their vehicle needs extra attention. Warning signs can sometimes indicate you need a mid-trip inspection even sooner than you expected. Look out for unusual noises, vibrations, or changes in vehicle performance or functionality. Take note of any warning lights that appear on your dashboard, as they may indicate what needs to be inspected. Also be aware of any unusual odors or smoke from the engine or exhaust.