UPDATE 2 p.m. Eastern Feb. 12: The Pennsylvanian Department of Transportation just issued these updates to its restrictions of travel by commercial vehicles:
The full commercial vehicle ban now only applies to:
- I-80 (East of I-79)
- I-81 (North of I-78)
- I-470 (North of Allentown)
Empty and double restrictions remain on:
- I-81 (from I-83 to I-78)
- I-476 (South of Allentown)
- SR 22 (I-78 to NJ)
- SR 33
Our original story:
With a new winter storm forecast to deliver as much as 2 feet of snow in parts of the Northeast, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation today announced phased in restriction for trucks starting at midnight tonight.
PennDOT this afternoon announced that “potential snowfall and anticipated sleet or freezing rain along with balancing needs for goods movement, PennDOT and the PA Turnpike are implementing phased restrictions through the storm.”
A 45-mph speed restriction will be in place on all roadways with vehicle restrictions at least during those time frames and may be implemented sooner and on non-vehicle-restricted roadways as well.
It also said that depending on conditions, restrictions may be expanded or reduced.
At midnight tonight, a full commercial vehicle ban (including buses) will be in place on I-70 in Fulton County (from the Maryland state line to the Turnpike) and on I-99 from I-80 to the Turnpike. Also at midnight, from New Stanton east to Carlisle, the Turnpike will prohibit:
- empty, straight CDL-weighted trucks;
- all large combination Vehicles (double trailers);
- tractors hauling empty trailers;
- any trailers pulled by motorcycles, passenger vehicles, pickup trucks or SUVs;
- all recreational vehicles and RVs.
At 6 a.m. Tuesday, PennDOT and the PA Turnpike will implement a full commercial vehicle ban (including buses) on the following roadways:
- Interstate 380 full length from I-81 to I-80;
- I-80 from I-79 to the New Jersey state line;
- I-81 from I-78 to the New York state line;
- I-84 full length from I-81 to the New York state line;
- I-476 (PA Turnpike, Northeast Ext.) from I-78 to Clarks Summit (exit 131); and
- I-180 full length from Route 220/U.S. 15 to I-80.
Also at 6 a.m. Tuesday, PennDOT and the PA Turnpike will prohibit only empty, straight CDL weighted trucks; all Large Combination Vehicles (double trailers); tractors hauling empty trailers; any trailers pulled by motorcycles, passenger vehicles, pickup trucks or SUVs; all motorcycles; and all recreational vehicles and RVs on the following roadways:
- PA Turnpike (I-76, I-276, I-95) from I-81 to the New Jersey state line;
- I-476 (non-Turnpike, full length);
- I-476 (PA Turnpike, Northeast Ext.) from Mid-County (#20) to Lehigh Valley (exit 56);
- I-76 (Turnpike and non-Turnpike, New Stanton to Philadelphia);
- I-78 full length from I-81 to the New Jersey state line;
- I-81 from the Maryland state line to I-78 split;
- I-83 from the Maryland state line to I-81;
- I-95 full length;
- Route 22 from I-78 to the New Jersey state line; and
- Route 33 from I-78 to I-80.