A trucker who has been driving for 32 years won the grand champion title at the recent Alabama Truck Driving Championships.
FedEx Freight driver Charlie Salter of Prattville, Alabama won the took the Overall Champion’s Award presented by Truckworx at the 2023 contest held here on June 9 at the Pelham Civic Complex near Birmingham. He also won the five-axle class.
This is the second time Salter has won the competition's top spot. He also took home the award in 2017.
Winners of the competition's various classes include:
- Straight Truck: David Hawk, FedEx
- 3-axle: Jean Laplante, FedEx Freight
- 4-axle: William Brandon, FedEx Freight
- Tank Truck: Craig Edmonds, Walmart Transportation
- Flatbed: Michael McQueary, Publix Super Market
- Sleeper Berth: Eric Firestone, Church Transportation
- Twins: Luis Bazan, XPO
Winners qualified for the national competition to be held Aug. 16-19 in Columbus, Ohio.